Pages

English Português

Nov 27, 2012

Rudolph's Red Nose



I had a reindeer obsession week. I think it's a great obsession to have... very productive anyway. It started with a felt ornament, moved to a card and landed comfortably on my living room pillow. Then, to finish it off, I had to watch Rudolph and Herbie!



Anyways, if you are also obsessed with reindeer this season, feel free to use the reindeer templates I made for the card and felt ornament.

For the card, I suggest you do the writing or stamping first, because that's where you are most likely to make a mistake (trust me, I went through this). If you need reference, draw a light line with a pencil and erase if afterwards. Then glue the parts of the reindeer together before gluing the whole thing to the card.

For the felt ornament, first sew the heart (red thread), the eyes (black thread or bead) and the nose button (red thread). To sew the two sides of the reindeer together I chose to use the blanket stitch, to which you can find a great tutorial at FutureGirl. I used just regular white embroidery floss. After some research online, I came to the conclusion that most people recommend using 2 threads, so you have to pull these apart from the usually 6 thread line. It can get messy, but you'll get the hang of it. While closing the reindeer, remember to sew in the ribbon between the antlers and fill the ornament with batting to make it cushioned. Lastly, sew the ribbon around the neck and it's ready!

The pillow was fashioned out of a beautiful fabric by Robert Kaufman, found at a lovely neighborhood shop on the Upper East Side - Pins & Needles. It seems like you can also buy this fabric through their online store, and on sale! I like making pillows because they are very forgiving. That was the first time I used an invisible zipper and was very happy to make it work! I didn't have an invisible zipper foot, so I followed a tutorial from Sew Serendipity and used a regular zipper foot instead. It worked beautifully!

If you have any other great ideas for reindeer themed projects, please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment