Pages

English Português

Aug 29, 2013

A Dash of Fascination

 

Crafting is always fun. But crafting with an excuse is even better! This past weekend I had the perfect excuse to wear something we all secretly, or openly, adore: a fascinator. The opportunity came in the shape of a beautiful English Garden wedding in Toronto. With a mix of Mad Hatter fun and royal family flair, I was determined to be very literal and, well… fascinate. 

I started by searching for some ideas online, but nothing seemed to match my own style. I decided on the color red for a white and blue stripped dress. At some point, it became clear to me that I was going for a navy look, and that’s how the boat design came to be. I first tried it with cotton fabric, folding and stitching like an origami paper boat, like the ones used in these exciting water stream races. That didn’t work very well, both because it was too soft and it didn’t look finished enough. So I tried the same thing with felt, emulating the shape of the paper boat, but with no folding involved, just by cutting the pieces in the right shape and sewing them together. The result was a big hit! I paired it with red vintage shoes, red lipstick, and a more-than-lovely-bow-tie-and-suspender husband. 

Once I arrived at the wedding, I realized people didn’t take it as far as I did, which I guess added to the much desired fascination effect. Most important though, was that I had created something uniquely me.


Criar é sempre divertido, mas criar com um pretexto é ainda melhor! Este ultimo fim de semana, eu tive o pretexto perfeito para usar algo que todos nós secretamente, ou abertamente, adoramos: um fascinator. A oportunidade veio na forma de um belo casamento de tema English Garden, em Toronto. Misturando a irreverência do Chapeleiro Maluco e a elegância da família real, eu estava determinada a ser literal e, portanto, fascinar. 

Comecei procurando algumas ideias on-line, mas nada parecia combinar com o meu próprio estilo. Eu decidi pela cor vermelha para um vestido listrado de branco e azul. Em algum momento, tornou-se claro que eu estava encorporando um estilo marinheiro, e for assim que a idéia do barco veio a ser. Primeiro, eu tentei a faceta com um tecido de algodão, dobrando e costurando como um barquinho de origami, porém não funcionou muito bem, pois o tecido era muito leve e o acabento também não me agaradou. Então, tentei a mesma coisa com o feltro, imitando a forma do barco de papel, mas sem fazer nenhuma dobradura, mas apenas cortando as partes no formato e costurando-as uma na outra. O resultado foi um grande sucesso! Eu casei o fascinator com sapatos retrô vermelhos, batom vermelho, e um marido lindo de gravata borboleta e suspensórios. 

Ao chegar no casamento, percebi que as pessoas não levaram o tema tão a sério como nós, o que, consequentemente, somou ao fascínio desejado. O mais importante, porém, for ter criado algo exclusivamente eu.

No comments:

Post a Comment