Pages

English Português

Oct 30, 2013

Halloween Craft: Bat-Shaped Hair Accessory


Halloween has something for everyone and it's a great opportunity for some fun crafting. My level of commitment to Halloween varies every year, but I always need to acknowledge it, even if it's just with a little something. This year, I made a bat-shaped hair accessory, simply fashioned out of felt, cotton pads and thread. I wanted a piece that I could wear to work, without being too flashy, and this will be just perfect.



As you can see from the pictures, this project is as easy as it gets. Simply cut two bat-shaped pieces of black felt (I free-handed it, but it might be better to make a paper template first). Using any color thread, stitch the eyes and the teeth on one of the felt pieces. Then, stitch both pieces together with running-stitches, or any other stitch your heart desires. I used two strings of orange embroidery thread and it worked well. First, stitch the head and one of the wings and fill it with cotton pads, continue stitching the other wing and fill it before closing completely. Now that you have your little bat, cut a small square of felt and sew it to the back of the bat - here you can use it to secure a hair band, like I did, or a hair pin instead. Mine being a hair band, I can also wear it as an over-sized bracelet. And it goes without saying, you can create any shape you like - pumpkins, ghosts, witches' hats, monsters and such. Enjoy!

Oh yes, I also couldn't properly acknowledge Halloween without a pair of small carved pumpkin lanterns. Aren't they so cute?!





1 comment: